Image: Suniva

The SunShot Initiative Five Years On

  • News

SolarIndustry Magazine, July 2016
By Dr. Lidija Sekaric
Director, U.S. Department of Energy SunShot Initiative

Note: The GEARED Initiative is cited on page 5 of this article

Image: Suniva

Image: Suniva

Since 2011, the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) SunShot Initiative has bolstered the U.S. solar industry by supporting innovative, cutting-edge technologies that have an immediate, measurable impact on reducing the cost of solar power.

SunShot aims to make solar electricity fully cost-competitive with traditional energy sources without incentives by 2020. The program funds research, development, demonstration and deployment projects that help the U.S. re-establish solar energy market leadership while improving energy security, strengthening the economy and combating climate change.

Five years into the SunShot Initiative, the solar industry is already 70% of the way to achieving the SunShot goals, but the remaining 30% of the way represents some of the toughest work yet.

READ the full article here.